2024 Musical Analysis #1

 "Favorite Song" -Ft. Toosii w Kahlid [Remix]            2024 Music Analysis #1 by Amber Dennis

Favorite Song was released in 2023 and is a very popular hip-hop and R&B song. It has gained my attention by my relation to the lyrics and the catchy melody- it is written in D major. The song starts out slow and steady with what sounds like an electronically processed voice then later Toosii begins singing. This song is a romantic, heartbreak, healing, and unlearning toxicity in relationships. As someone who has experienced love loss, this song quickly caught my attention and has helped me understand that holding standards for myself, and especially raising kids has set the bar up high. After finding someone who loves me and cares for me the way this song explains, I truly understand the meaning of "don't settle and affection is not just a word."

 The lyrics of this song are so deep, Toosii uses them to express his love for his significant other, or what he can or could do for someone he truly loves. In the case of this song, he is talking about a lady who may have been hurt and is afraid to love again or perhaps needs to be proven that there are standards of love that exist to remove the insecurities she holds. 

This is my favorite part of the song that talks about the standards that are so often overlooked and undervalued in a relationship, almost as if it's a dream to even think they're possible. I have never felt appreciated and valued enough in past relationships to feel the emotion of these lyrics until I found someone who LITERALLY loves and cares for me the way Toosii sings. This is not materialistic, but an emotionally supportive love language.

"I see you're lookin' for someone to scoop you right off of your feetYou want to ride in the WraithYou want to go out on datesYou want somebody to come bring you flowersSomeone to talk to for hoursWash your back while y'all sit in the shower
Someone to tell you, "You're beautiful"Someone to tell you and mean itSomeone to tell you, "I love you, " every day and don't got a-You want someone to bring you peace (uh)Someone to help you sleep (yeah)Someone to pick you up, when you're feelin' down, feelin' lonely
Somebody who can make it betterSomebody who can open up those gatesOpen up those gates to your heartOnly if you'll let me"                                                                                                           



 

(I chose this photo just because I have children myself & I also want to emphasize the importance of the love reciprocating.)   





Citations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favorite_Song_(Toosii_song)

https://neonmusic.co.uk/toosii-favorite-song-lyrics-what-is-the-meaning-behind-this-platinum-hit/ 

Comments

  1. I’ve never heard this song before, and I thought its use of effects was very interesting. I find myself wondering why it starts out with an electronic, almost babyish voice, and what that has to do with the song, or why it supports the message of the song (since it’s about a man, who loves a woman, and doesn’t see her in the crowd he’s singing for, which might be disappointing?). Starting out with a highly synth-ed childish voice is not really my cup of tea for a slow, romantic song, and I probably would have stopped listening if I hadn’t gotten to the part where the (more) real voice of the singer comes in. I also question the execution of the bridge, where (I think it is the featured artist?) is almost mumbling the lyrics. I guess this could all come together to create a “gentle” feeling, but it doesn’t resonate with me personally. I do like the varied rhythm and pitch dynamics, though — like when they go really low, to contrast with the higher parts of the chorus/verses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amber's First Blog Post

Role of the Performer