Music and the Fictive Dream

Amber Dennis

Moana


Background

The movie Moana was produced in 2016 by Walt Disney Animation Studios. This movie demonstrates the peoples connection to the Earth through a "human island," which was inspired by Polynesian myths. In the movie, the people of Motununi, worship Ta Fiti, the living island who brought life to the sea with her heart which is a stone with powers. In the beginning, Ti Fiti gets her heart taken by Maui, who tried to use the stone to allow humans to create with powers. In doing that Maui had taken away the heart of Ta Fiti, who resulted in her deterioration and anger. The people of Motununi, who were once voyagers, no longer think it it safe to leave their deteriorating island. The parents of Moana has shielded her from danger, especially the ocean to help her reach becoming the chief of the island. Through this Moana, has grown up and become very curious and does everything in her power in gaining the knowledge and history of Motununi. Moana puts efforts in trying to save the people of her island. The song "How Far I'll Go," was the main hit on this movie, which was composed by Lin-Manual Miranda, with the voice of Auili'i Cravalho, who is the voice of Moana. This song is a perfect example of what is going on in the movie with Moana's situation. Her parents trying to protect her, her idea of what roles she and the other villagers need to take on, her curiosity of life outside of the island, as well as what she needs to do in order to bring back the heart of Ti Fiti for the benefit of her and her people. Eventually Moana builds the courage listening to her calling to risk trying to restore the heart of Ti Fiti. She faces a lot of life threatening situations but in the end she finds that Ti Fiti has turned into the destroying civilian in the story without her heart. In the end Moana becomes the chief and wayfinder leads her people, back to their old ways as voyagers. 

Lyrics
The lyrics are extremely connected to Moana's situation. She has a feeling that she needs to do something to help her people as well as obey her parents. She also expresses her love and calling for the water. The song starts out slow with the sounds of the water and flute like noises which make me think of the island. The lyrics go up and down reflecting Moana's emotions towards trying to be perfect in both world's. 


I've been staring at the edge of the waterLong as I can rememberNever really knowing whyI wish I could be the perfect daughterBut I come back to the water no matter how hard I try

Every turn I take, every trail I trackEvery path I make, every road leads backTo the place I know where I cannot goWhere I long to be
See the line where the sky meets the sea?It calls meAnd no one knows how far it goesIf the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind meOne day I'll knowIf I go, there's just no telling how far I'll go
I know everybody on this island seems so happy on this islandEverything is by designI know everybody on this island has a role on this islandSo maybe I can roll with mine
I can lead with pride, I can make us strongI'll be satisfied if I play alongBut the voice inside sings a different songWhat is wrong with me?
See the light as it shines on the sea?It's blindingBut no one knows how deep it goesAnd it seems like it's calling out to me, so come find meAnd let me knowWhat's beyond that line, will I cross that line?
See the line where the sky meets the sea?It calls meAnd no one knows how far it goesIf the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind meOne day I'll know how far I'll go


Instruments

You are able to use many different instruments to play the tune of this song. With each different instrument you are able to feel the emotions and lyrics of this song. 

Beat

This song is so catchy that, you will be singing it all day long. The song "How Far I'll Go" is written in E Major and has a moderate tempo of 82 beats per minute. 


Timbre

The song is sung in a vocal range of B3 to D5, so it goes from high to low. Slow and faster. In the beginning its starts off slow, just like the uncertainty of what Moana wants or should do, it then becomes faster and has more excitement which helps the listener to feel her emotional adventure.


My Opinion

This movie is a children's movie, obviously, but it definitely has a theory behind it. After watching this movie a million times with my kids, and listening to and singing along I can finally fully understand what it means through this project. In a way I feel like their connection with the Earth has the similar values I and my people hold in our small Alaskan village. We capitalize the importance of living off the land, and our land our provider, who has the power to take away anything on the land if not respected. Through the song "How Far I'll Go," brings a sense of comfort and emotion through life's trial and errors. 

Sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Far_I%27ll_Go#:~:text=%22How%20Far%20I'll%20Go,Mark%20Mancina%20on%20its%20reprise.

https://youtu.be/bQES_F6c7c8

https://images.app.goo.gl/gKDGyCoToexHVSnd8

https://images.app.goo.gl/AciHC2SK9JU6PNbY8




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amber's First Blog Post

2024 Musical Analysis #1

Role of the Performer